Friday, January 22, 2010

I Want to Believe




A couple of weeks ago I put on my new sweater that has large gray, red and white horizontal stripes about four to five inches thick, and I noticed a faint ring in the area under my ribs and above my stomach like someone had rested a drink on my belly. Obviously, I hadn't rested a drink on my sweater, but something like that probably caused it. I would have happily moved on with my life, never giving a moment's thought to it ever again, but a few days later, I put on my cream sweater, and I saw the same ring in the same spot as my other sweater. Strange. When I checked my original ring sweater, I found that there were two rings.

Once again, I would have probably forgotten any of this ever happened, but when I put my cream sweater on for work today, the dim rim of some mystery source was still visible. I mentioned it to some people at work today, and they were as perplexed as I was, but no one could offer a reasonable explanation other than a circle left by a drink even though it was a little larger than a bottle or can, but I know I haven't reached the level of sloth that allows oneself to rest his drink on his stomach. Lib's theory that its from water soaking off the counter as I'm doing dishes doesn't jive either because they are perfect circles in the same spot and location--they shouldn't be that consistent and perfectly round.

Others have proposed a laundry theory and I thought maybe there was something in my closet where I throw my dirty clothes, but in both cases, clothes are crumpled, and the mark would be uneven. I wonder if it is on my other sweaters, but is too faint to be seen because they are darker. This is a real conundrum.

Later, I was once again beckoned to retell the mystery at the bar, Lib asked me to raise my shirt, and there, in the same spot on my t-shirt (and keep in mind, the t-shirt and sweater were not on at the same time the ring appeared on the sweater) was another circle--same size, same spot.

Before we left, a coworker noticed ring on Lib's shirt too, but we quickly realized that it was smaller and remembered that she had put a drink on her stomach in an attempt to figure out the origin, which made me feel better because I was afraid it was contagious.

I have no reasonable theories about the appearance or the source of these sweater circles, but I can assure you all, it will not be forgotten until I solve this enigma.

4 comments:

  1. If I may ask a few questions. If it's on the same spot on multiple items of clothing, then I would venture to guess that the source of this mystery is either yourself or a habit of yours while wearing the article of clothing.

    1) Are you lactating?
    2) Do you lean on or sit in a particular way at your desk at school, that something may be slowly seeping from a point source and diffusing outwards? Or even something on the seat belt of your car?
    3) Do you rest your clothes in the bathroom during your AM shower such that your clothes may be subject to a specific moisture drip?
    4) Are you really Esoderica or are you an alien clone here to prepare the world for the arrival of your own?
    5) Are these rings actually the faint residuals of portals to alternative dimensions where, as you sleep, you travel to without your express knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually been leaning toward the theory that the rings are a product of some energy emanating from either my chi, one of the chakras(solar plexus), a tumor or alien fetus, but only time will tell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the last time you were at the post office, they were out of the self adhesive stamps and they had to sell you the manual, or rather, oral moistening stamps, and the stamps we mix up with the post master generals' personal stash of blotter acid. You lick a "stamp", and bada-bing! You see shirt rings. mystery solved. I would expect to hear from the post master as he attempt to correct the mix-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is my comedy fix. Much needed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete