Friday, March 12, 2010

The End of Adventure?


I thought when I went for my checkup in January, it would be a handshake, a pat on the back, and a quick cough with a gingerly touch. All my bloodwork and urnalysis came back perfect. Cholesterol and blood pressure were spot on and my testicles were the picture of health. So when the doctor said there was an anomaly on my EKG, I was a little surprised that I had to reschedule for an echocardiogram. He said the delay in the signal to my heart could be normal for me, but he just wanted to check.

I went in a couple of weeks later for my ultra-sound, and they told me I wouldn't have to come in if everything checked out. After a week, I hadn't heard anything, and I assumed everything was fine. However, just as I was heading out the door to tutor one evening, my phone rang and I recognized the number. My heart sank a little when I answered and the doctor was on the other end.

I wasn't getting a good signal, and I couldn't hear very well. He said he would call me back. He called four more times, but there was no one when I answered. When he left a message, I figured it wasn't that serious, but it just said to call him back--my heart sank a little more.

When I finally called back the receptionist took my name, and said, "Eric, the tests show you have a mitral valve prolapse." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHat? My heart stopped. "...which is something that you were born with and is not a problem. There is no treatment, and you will be fine."

I think I would have started with, "Eric, YOU'RE OK" followed by a brief, benign description of the "condition," but that's just me. What do I know. Thankfully, though, I can keep adventuring, and my blog won't die at the age of thirty-three.

6 comments:

  1. eric, you a big gaywad. this is something you were born with and it's not a problem. there is no treatment. you will always be a big gaywad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have started with "You're OK."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you just freaked me out. Why didn't you say you were OKAY from the beginning!!!! Glad you are good! Isn't it crazy you were born with something that they just NOW found out about at your OLD AGE????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a creeper who found your page :) I found out I had MVP during my senior year of high school when I was in your English class. You'll probably never notice you have it again unless you endure some ridiculous amount of stress, that's when mine acts up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anonymous! Glad to hear from you whoever you are, even if you are a creeper.

    ReplyDelete