Thursday, March 4, 2010

WTF(armVille)?

I know it's sad, but I joined Facebook, not out of some intense longing to reconnect with long, lost friends from the past; it wasn't out of a sense of online community and camaraderie--it was to play Farmville.

Now, I will admit, I have been friended by some people I have not seen for years, and it's nice to be able to see what they are up to and exchange a comment here and there. And I love the anticipation of wondering who will pop up next.

But what keeps me coming back, at least ten times a day or so, is my damn fake farm, which is actually a pretty crappy version of SimCity, but they figured out how to keep me from getting burnt out because, at least in the beginning stages, I can only play about five minutes until I have to quit because I can't do anything from four to 72 hours depending on what I planted. The sad thing is, it is a matter of pointing and clicking with the requisite dexterity of a chimp, and it takes about the same amount of brain power too. So why, when technically I am using the same buttons and muscles to pay my bills or write lesson plans, do I think I am having so much fun making a vaguely resemblant avatar amble around a 32-bit farm?

My cow just mooed in my other tab, so I have to go milk it...seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Most admirable... you've chosen a "virtual" life of hard, sweaty, tedious, marginally-profitable, farmer "life". As opposed to the high-stakes, exciting, cloak-and-dagger, by-the-seat of your pants, irreversible, an offer-you-can't-refuse, "life" in the "virtual mafia". Bravo !! Personally, I'm sick of the nerdy dumb-ass offering me...either ( or... ayether...depending on your english teacher...haha) a MAGIC BEAN for my pretend farm or a TOMMY GUN to make the execution of my pretend arch enemy that much easier. We are a bunch of sheeple! Citizens of this country care more about virtual farms, virtual mafia, american idols, and dancers; than the country itself. We are doomed! DOOMED I SAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How has Pleiman not discovered Farmville yet!?

    Cool blog, man! Good to "see" you again on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete