Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Blizzard Entertainment



We have two days off of school because of the blizzard, so I felt like I should get out and dig the cars out so I would have an excuse as a thirty-three year old man to go and play in a foot and a half of snow. So I strapped on my red hunting hat and my boots, grabbed my shovel, and headed out into the great white open. It was also my first snow storm with a beard.

I discovered that this is what beards are for. In the past when I have had a beard, people would ask me for help in any warehouse store that I entered: Lowe's, Home Depot, and even Costco. I didn't like being stereotyped (maybe it's because I also suffer from the "every bald a-hole with a goatee" complex when I don't have a full beard), but I guess if people want to assume I am handy because of my beard, they can believe that.

Walking out into snow with a beard is another level of rugged and burly altogether, something like walking into the woods with an axe, flannel, and yes, also a beard. I dug out my car, Lib's car, our neighbor's car(after she struggled for quite some time) and then later, I dug out another of our neighbor's parking spots as I was walking by and he was trying to clear it (10 inches mind you) with a Swiffer (obviously he didn't have a beard) so his mother could park.

Afterward, Lib came out and we walked almost a mile to the liquor store to get wine for dinner, but it was closed, so we went to CVS and got Cheezits, Gummi Bears, Sour Patch Kids, Sour Melons, a Peppermint Patty, and a giant bag of Peanut M&Ms (we needed snacks for when we play Borderlands on the Xbox 360 all day tomorrow). And while Lib does not have a beard, I like to think that it was my beard that got us both through the long trek tackling the arctic conditions and safely back home again.

NOTES: If I got paid for every product I just plugged in this blog, I would be a rich man. Also, for those who read my last post, there are no ghosts in the photo above; they are just snow flakes.

3 comments:

  1. We have had tons of snow here too. It is times like these that I wish I was a teacher. Ugghhh...but alas, I am not and therefore I am at work in my cubby hole cubicle:( Whoa is me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing more satisfying than a good, productive day at work. While I may not feel satisfied with what I have accomplished today, it does feel good to be a turd every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, Zak would claim that they're ghosts. End of story. But, I'm really writing to find out if you built an igloo or not. Snow isn't the same without an igloo, you know.

    ReplyDelete