Thursday, July 30, 2009




As all of you know, yesterday was hot and humid, and if you have ever laid asphalt on a day like yestereday, then you'll understand what I'm saying here. When you lay asphalt, it is hot as hell, and when the heat rises off it on a summer day, you know you've picked the wrong line of work. To make it worse, you spray it with water so the plate compacter doesn't stick, and the roller is wet for the same reason, which equals only one thing: steam. So after we finished the driveway yesterday, I felt disgusting--hot and dirty and sticky. When we got back to the yard, however, it started to rain really hard, so I took off my shirt, stood in my work pants in a puddle with arms outstreached, face to the sky, and let the rain wash over me; I knew immediately what Andy Dufresne felt like when the rain washed the sewage and twenty years of imprisonment off him in The Shawshank Redemption, but that was just a movie, unless it was just a really hot day of filming for Tim Robbins, either way, that's what I felt like.

3 comments:

  1. you looked awesome when you walked into the bar last night. it almost made me want to work with asphalt. almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. Andy Dufresne was probably a little more relieved to have the rain wash off some of the fecal matter from the thousands of hardened inmates who were achieving their own form of deliverance on burrito night....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I thought, Tim, but then I realized it was all just fake crap like in "Two Girls One Cup" and knew that I had been more relieved than Robbins.

    ReplyDelete