Friday, July 24, 2009

Midwest Eloquence



On the way to Home Depot, for some unknown reason, I started singing the theme song to Mr. Belvedere, and Lib recognized it, but didn't know what show it was until I told her. We both traced it back to when she was about six, but it was still very vague to her, so I said,"Well, I guess it wasn't probably on but only a couple-few years," which I thought was a well-phrased sentence and was briefly proud of my verbiage, but she immediately made fun of me in a creek-rat accent, and when I defended my choice of words as eloquent, she said that I only thought so because I was from Ohio. I stand by my choice of words, and given the same situation, no matter who I might be talking to (the Pope, president, J-lo...whoever), I would use the exact same words.

5 comments:

  1. "...drop kick your jacket... when you walk through the dooooooorrr who care?.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was willing to accept Lib ( if that is her real name ) as a member of the " We love... and love to badger... Eric club " right up to the point where she started bashing my good friend and fellow Ohioan about proper english. I must say, I'm pert-near ready to spit and this ornery young missy could use a good wallop for her sassy mouth. Ok, Ok, she was right... I could not suppress my limited intellect and inferior heritage; but you must admit; she has a perspicacity for nuturing indignation. She must be hot. DAMN HOT !

    More to the point...Mr. Belvedere? Really? I'm the backwards guy from Ohio...and Andy Griffith show theme is worth whistling. I hate stereotypes don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it depends on the show, and i'm not familiar with "mr. belvedere." i don't think you can talk about "fat albert" like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eric, this is Tim Ruoff from UC. Remember me? The Cohort? I ran into Mike Mckinley yesterday and he e-mailed me a link to your blog, which is hilarious. E-mail me at timruoff@live.com if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey eric-- this is dave from EB. remember me? i kicked your ass that time by the back gate? and then you paid me one dollar every day so i wouldn't do it again? and then eventually we became friends because you had a pool?

    ReplyDelete