Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Granstas


It's funny to see where we come from and not be able to deny it. Before my grandma Bev passed away, she was crotchety and cranky, and when I say "before she passed" I mean as long as I knew her. But she also raised eight children, so who am I to talk about cranky--she spent sixty-three months of her life pregnant, which is over five years of carrying around another human being inside of your body, then she had to raise them all; if she wasn't a ray of sunshine all the time, it's understandable. Growing up, she was never the "nice grandma;" that was reserved for my other grandmother, Irene, but she was not a mean grandma, she was just not as nice as Irene. Bev took me camping and let me chase her cat around the house. I don't have a single unpleasant memory about grandma Bev, she just wasn't jolly; however, when my sister checked her cell phone after her death, she found this picture of grandma and her roommate, Marion, at the home (when I took flowers out to them last year for the 4th of July, grandma wanted a picture with the flowers and Marion, so she made Marion get out of her bed and come to her bed to take the picture--Marion had no legs). So she wasn't sunny, and she could be unpleasant, and she wasn't "the nice grandmother," but she was ornery and goofy and she was grandma Bev, and my grandfather worshiped the ground she walked on for over fifty years even though they bickered constantly.

1 comment:

  1. Quote:
    ...So she wasn't sunny, and she could be unpleasant, and she wasn't "the nice grandmother," but she was ornery and goofy and she was grandma Bev...

    I think I now understand you a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete