Thursday, August 13, 2009

Barbaric Yawp



If you've never ripped a giant stump out of the ground with a backhoe, then you don't know what you are missing. I think one of the most impressive things about the human brain is its ability to transfer nerve input taken from the body to make a person one with a tool. You feel the ax and can swing it with great precision, you feel the rake and can feel if the grade of the dirt is level, and you can actually feel how tons of steel rip through the ground and you can create a mental map of roots and clay beneath the surface. I know it's strange, but...no its not...it is very satisfying to fill the bucket of the excavator completely, swing it, extend it, and dump it onto a giant pile of earth that you have ripped from mother earth. I'm sorry if this is not very poetic, but my barbaric yawp is much more gutteral than Walt Whitman's, and I am glad I get to leave teaching literature behind for two months every year to play in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment