Monday, September 21, 2009

Grin and Barefoot


I'm not saying I have completely bought into the whole barefoot running craze, but that is only because I am only half way through Born to Run. Have I jumped on this bandwagon? No. Absolutely not. But I am running next to it barefoot. Or at least in sandals, and I am thinking of jumping on. I will never be a Caballo Blanco, white horse, and I will probably never run more than six miles, but I do have a heavy, heal pounding stride that will probably smash my knees and ankles. If this works, it just means I will run more naturally and efficiently. It seems primal though, running barefoot, and since I can't live in a jungle, this is as close as I get to primal. I will never be Caballo Blanco, and I may look silly running down the road in my sandals, but it does feel pretty good, and I think I will stick with it. And maybe one day the locals will refer to me as the white monkey, El Mono Blanco.

2 comments:

  1. They may refer to you as El Mono Sancto...the bleeding monkey...considering your recent past with outdoor injuries and misfortunes. Furthermore, barefoot running sounds painful anywhere, but the broken and bombed-out, glass-strewn, mean streets of New York and New Jersey?! Where death and carnage awaits with every stride?! Sounds like a podiatrist dream come true. You're a crazy man!Don't do it! But, if you do, get your tetanus shot updated, and be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with chad's brother. Get your shots. I bought the Nike Free shoes so I could get the barefoot-esque experience without the stabbing dirty syringe, half filled with Hep C, jabbing up the sole of my foot like a disease-ridden, blood clot filled, inanimate version of a cobra's fang searing burning, disgusting, nasty who knows what into my bloodstream to wreak damage and destruction... and death. And Caballo Blanco, El Mono Blanco/Sancto whatever. You have been and will always be Anak ng Araw

    ReplyDelete