Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Little Squirrely


I just remembered that at the beginning of my run yesterday, I was heading down the sidewalk when I saw a squirrel noshing on some grub at the edge of the sidewalk. As with most squirrels that have been semi-domesticated by living in housing developments, this little fella didn't seem to care that I was barreling down the sidewalk at him, but I figured that he would bolt long before it got awkward or uncomfortable. Animals generally get the hell out of the way at a pretty consistent distance. For instance, a deer will leap into the woods anywhere between one hundred yards and twenty yards. The smaller the mammal, the closer you can get, while blackbird or a robin will fly away at around ten to fifteen yards; a dumb-ass turtle dove, however, will let you get within twenty feet, and an asshole pigeon stays just long enough until you think it's not going to fly away. Squirrels are usually somewhere between a bird and a pigeon...usually. As I approached the squirrel, it didn't seem to pay much mind, and as I got even closer, I started to worry that it was going to do that frantic, unpredictable squirrel-spasm dance where it darts in front of the car changing direction sporadically until it ends up passing underneath your car unscathed or sometimes not. It's a little scarier when you're not surrounded by tons of steel, especially when you get so close to the squirrel that you can see its cataracts, and at the last second it looks up with smokey gray, glazed-over eyes and resorts to the aforementioned, panic dance. Am I afraid of a squirrel? On the record, no! Off the record, I started juking and high stepping into the grass for what would have been a spectacular five-yard touchdown run but was actually an embarrassing, shameful tantrum that required me to quickly regain my composure and run the remaining 3.9 miles like a normal human being that wasn't scared by a cute little rodent with a fluffy tail...and demonic eyes.

3 comments:

  1. i got within a few feet of a fix today in the orchard-- sentence coming soon about that on sentence of dave. if you want to see something really funny, go over to gheorghe-- whitney wrote a long post about the top twenty douches of rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, can I relate to this one.

    We used to go camping a lot in Michigan when I was a kid. It was a wonderland for a kid my age; swimming, forests, creeks and miles of campground to ride your bike around in.

    Well, I was riding my bike and out of nowhere this squirrel comes flying in from the sky above, hits the ground, bounces a couple of times and just lies there. I'm like "HOLY SHIT A SQUIRREL JUST DIED AND FLEW OUT OF THE TREE AND LANDED RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!" except that I'm nine years old and I'm more like "DUDE LET'S RAMP OVER IT!"

    So, being too cool for a kickstand I set my BMX bike down and go to take a closer look when this squirrel freakin' RE-ANIMATES OUT OF NOWHERE, starts running around in circles, totally flips out and runs up a tree. Good thing I wasn't too cool for Charmin because I nearly crapped my pants. Nearly.

    I think this was the same trip that I rode my bike right up the back of some guys leg on accident. He probably felt nearly the same way about me as I had about the squirrel.

    PEACE OUT THANKS FOR READING

    ReplyDelete