Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Call Me Jack


I have always suspected that if I were in Lord of the Flies I would have joined that savage hunters in a heartbeat. It is ten in the moringing and I am starving because I haven't eaten for three and a half hours--there is this Cuban deli across the street that has a roast pork sandwich where they ladel the garlic infused juices all over your sandwhich so it rolls off of the pork and soaks into the bagel--slap a slice of cheese and slather the top slice in mayo...ohhhhhhhh, that's a sandwhich! But it's never ready until after 11am, so I have to wait. I know that I would have snapped after one missed meal on a deserted island. Civilized? I would have gone native in five hours tops. Maybe, just maybe, I could have made it a couple of meals on fruit, and some fish or crab would have been great for a while, but the moment I got homesick for one of these sandwiches, I would have been fashioning a spear on my way down the game trail. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but I'm starving, and the sandwich is calling me. It think that's what they heard in the jungle, something primal and innate calling from the dark depths of instinct. And if some chubby kid with "asmar" gets in between my sandwich and me, I will not hesitate to drop a large boulder on his head, regardless of what he has to say about it, conch or no.

5 comments:

  1. I think I know a guy who will fair quite nicely on your team!!

    Mmmm... Sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot that I wasn't acutally on a deserted island, so when I went to buy the sandwich and they did not take my American Express card, I was forced to go next door to A&P to try the soup bar, but it was gone and I ended up getting a salad. F civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have no problem going long periods of time without food-- in fact, sometimes i don't even think about eating at all . . . i can just work and work and work and never even . . . hmmm, is that sandwich, afgdjkhuiryhbnvckjbvilhsbclvbslvkjbskvfilhvlkjcbvkjlxcbnvkjlbc

    ReplyDelete
  4. "desserted".... and you call yourself an educator?

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. eric complained he couldn't think of a topic for his blog today, and i guess he's as boring as he thinks he is.

    ReplyDelete