Friday, May 15, 2009

Don't Stop Believin




I don't want to give the impression that my gangsta rap phase is over, but I have to say that the past week has been incredible. The heavy, driving base; the in-ya-face lyrics; the complete, unapologetic disregard for the police, and the continuous catalogue of small arms has been invigorating and have created in me a sense of being a badass. But today after discovering my "Journey's Greatest Hits" cd and transferring it to my ipod, I have returned to being the whitest man on the planet. That is not to say I am ashamed or disappointed; on the contrary, it makes more sense that I would be blasting "Open Arms" as I drive down the street as opposed to "Straight outta Compton," and I am proud to be white, but anyone who has ever been white knows that sometimes you need a vacation.

5 comments:

  1. I thought you were anak ng araw. Besides, with the lead singer of Journey now being Filipino, it makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Udding Henry, you may be onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. although I do enjoy their music; clearly these guys are the ugliest, and probably the least laid band of all time. The photo proves that bald is beautiful. scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journey indeed back to a time when the tighter your pants and more lengthy your mullet meant that you were hip with the times and even more (dare I use a modern term) down with the ladies! Set aside the fact that the four closest friends in the band are side-by-side; and Sir Stoned-a-lot (looks that way to me. [ eric stolz with long hair, and a dead ferret around his cllar...aka front row guy...]) I guess he was last to show up for the photo shoot...or he was forced to the front row by a loud, angry, probably hairy and ill qualified manager/director ( not unlike little league coaches we have all had to endure in our lives). Can one help but digress when viewing the above photo, and feel the warm tuggings of nostalgia and then instantly absorb the horror of how old we really are? How out of touch, and how completely oblivious we are to what is ....frsh, cool, awesome, gnarly, bitchin', neat-o,way-cool,groovy , or far-out we are? My 15 year-old reminds me I would be remiss if I left out, the now socially acceptable phrase ..."That is dope yo."
    It is such a great photo; ripe and voluptuous with opportunity to ridicule...not just the band but ourselves; for arm-chair quarterbacking what was cool then (honestly, we wouldn't know what was cool if it was stuffed in all eighteen pockets of our parachute pants) ...and plain pretending that we know what is cool now. But Damn...scroll up and look at the photo of Journey again. I said DAMN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you racist white bastard-- so now all monkeys are inveterate gamblers?

    i'm surprised you didn't use the "journey" picture with the crotch shot.

    ReplyDelete