Tuesday, June 16, 2009

2008-2009 Mural


Today was the last day teaching, and last year we started a little tradition of drawing a colorful, yet ephemeral mural on the white board in the English office of all the little events and inside jokes that have taken place since September. If you notice an egg with a goatee, that is me, or was me at the Halloween party that I did not go to because I was in Portland, so a coworker drew eyes and a goatee on a balloon and took me to the party (it also spawned a series of comics starring the same balloon). Unless you work at the school, this is just a bunch of--that's right--esoterica, but my favorite, which was captured quite well, is the t-shirt at the top. When one of the clubs held a dance competition and ordered shirts decorated with a silhouette of woman dancing and blowing fire, the company convinced them to save money by making the fire white; as a result, the two-toned white flame that was right on the chest ended up looking more like a liquid than a gas; something more than molecules got excited (if you know what I mean). So it's been a good year, and our mural was better than last year's-- and when I think about next year, I am not thinking of how to be a better teacher, I am thinking about how I can make a better mural.

6 comments:

  1. This is what happens when I accidentally stay logged on at work, but I was thinking both of those comments anyway, so I won't delete them, Kev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your editor, I need to bring your attention to:

    1)starring not staring
    2)dancing not danceing

    Otherwise, good post, nice mural, and poor self-acclamation. Next time, I expect the mural to be a series of stop-motion images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chico. I guess when you spend six years in an MIT lab looking a fly genes and homely women, spelling and grammatical errors are easy and exciting.

    ReplyDelete