Monday, June 22, 2009

Something is Afoot...



I have really had some great runs lately. Last week I ran 3.6 miles in 27 minutes, which puts me at about the seven and a half minute mile time. Of course when I went two days later, I was a bit slower, but my legs were a bit tired from my previous performance because I'm not in the best shape. So today, after a three days of rest and a fried chicken dinner at eight o'clock last night, I thought I would be charged and ready for a record-breaking run. I was actually a little excited about getting out and running, and I decided to take my phone just so I could time myself. The run sucked. The humidity was visible, which made it hard to breathe, plus I was wearing an uncomfortable, thick t-shirt that I ironically got from running a 5mile race, and it was chafing my nipples. I was determined to not look at the timer until I got back in hopes that maybe I was running a good time, but around the three mile marker, I rolled my ankle, felt a pop, and heard a snap (or I heard a phantom snap from feeling the pop). I was hot, sweaty and pissed, and I had to call Lib to pick me up. Then I realized that I had not looked at the clock when I rolled my ankle, so I checked when I called Lib, which put me at about 25 minutes for 3miles, so at least I wasn't breaking my record, but I guess I won't be for a while. Normally I would say this was a bad day, but Lib took care of me; she bought a "Vitamin Water: Balance" and some ice, and when I awoke from a brief nap on the couch, she had warmed up my leftovers from the fried chicken dinner, so I could stay on the couch in case I needed to play guitar or video games while she went to tutor--keeper!

2 comments:

  1. Ouch dude. That looks painful. I just broke the 8 min mile pace last weekend and am now on the drive to the 7.5 pace. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I popped my ankle. Looks like you're in great care though. Happy healing and hope you're not set back too far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow-- you've been prolific since i last checked you rblog. i would like to put my editorial two cents in: no one cares about exact running times except runners, who are boring to begin with-- so you such pare away the clutter and just say you were running "fast" or "slow."

    ReplyDelete